Thursday, March 22, 2012

All in a month's time...(this is a long one so get your coffee mug and stay awhile...I'll post it in 2 diff. posts)

(Part 1)
Today marks ONE MONTH since our departure date from Virginia!  I can hardly believe it!  The changes and shockers and newness now becoming common-day...and all the lessons in between.  These make me so grateful for the life God has given me, and excited about all the new things ahead.  Here are some things that happened JUST IN THE LAST 4 DAYS that give you a taste of my new life here in PNG.  

 Saturday, we hiked to a mumu at the Roja haus lain.  The closest thing I can describe it as is a PNG cookout for special occasions...except that WE were the special occasion I guess (more typically, they mumu due to weddings or funerals or something).  The citizens of PNG can sometimes be labeled a certain way just because of people who stand out.  It's many times a negative connotation.  BUT Josh and I have been so welcomed on the whole, and blessed so much by the PNG people we've crossed paths with.  Most are eager to help us learn, eager to show us their culture, and eager to hear us talk their "tok".  At the mumu, my new friend Rebeka "storied" with me (as they call it), and taught me some of their cooking methods with bamboo (mambu).  Her 14 year old daughter, Rut (Ruth), knows a lot of English (as they start teaching English in grade 2).  Rut would listen to me say something in English and then immediately say it in Pidgin and be sure I repeated it correctly.  Sarah had a whole audience of pikinini (children) sitting on the ground in front of her as she taught them all about the body and what muscles and bones are in it, etc.  They giggled and also listened intently...and Sarah all the while just going on and on, happy to have  I'll be going to see Rebeka again on Thursday morning to "stori" more and maybe even get to "do life" a bit too...whatever's part of her routine around 8am :)







 
Sunday, we went to a PNG church that was "open air" I call it.  Just a thatched kunai grass roof and bamboo posts with a bit of tarp and other thatched places along some of the sides.  We all took off our shoes before going in to sit on the tarps that covered much of the cement floor.  We sang songs that were in pidgin and even several in English.  We didn't get there until 10:10am...but they had already been singing for a while.  We sang for about 45 minutes or so and then people gave testimonies about things that had happened during the week (of course, I only understood a few things here and there).  Then came the offering and prayers and the message.  All the kids went out onto the dirt and amongst the garden area and played while we listened.  I even had to take Hannah and Morgan to the "bathroom" during the service.  No automatic paper towel dispensers or foaming soap to be found.  No toilet.  No door on the ladies bathroom.  Just a thatched 3-walled structure with a deep hole in the ground.  Let's just say that "Wet Ones" disinfecting wipes and toilet paper get carried everywhere we go.  But back to the service...it was sweet to see the excitement as Nicky, our first language helper, led the music and really worshipped the Lord.  Makes me excited about heaven! 

3 comments:

  1. been thinking...You have been so blessed as God opens up relationships with the people around you... and I know that so many of "your team" here have been praying for God to use you there to reach many who don't know Him... but then I was thinking that the believers there also ask God to use them for that very purpose and He sent you to them... so whose prayers are being answered...Who is on "their team" and praying... and are you on their team or are they on yours... hmmmmmm guess you're all on God's team and are all obedient and loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you guys!!! how very wonderful to be learning all these things and growing.....You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mel! makes me excited for heaven too sista! :) I am looking forward to going to get a taste of heaven in Kenya Aug 6-18th, along with Ryan and 10 others from our church. God has begun to put our team together, but like Mama said...His team is anyone walking in obedience to Him, no matter where they are :) Praying for you often as God leads and hope you will continue to pray for us here, too! Love you, twin! Kiss all your Pikininis for Aunt Beth please! <3

    ReplyDelete